Sunday, May 18, 2014

Aiming for Zero Waste

By Alyssa Janelle Tabajonda

For many Filipinos, from the moment we wake up, we already produce garbage - when we use shampoo sachets when taking a bath, or crack eggs for breakfast.

Initially, I thought it was hardly possible not to produce waste every day but, my experience as a volunteer in the Mother Earth Foundation has convinced me and helped me believe that ZERO WASTE is truly POSSIBLE.

It is important to understand the concept of zero waste first. People who easily conclude that it is hard and impossible usually equate zero waste with zero garbage; however, it does not necessarily mean having no garbage at all.

So, what does "Zero Waste" really mean? I think the simplest way to explain it is: NOTHING goes to WASTE.

My experience with Mother Earth helped me, as an individual, realize how I can further reduce the waste I generate.

It has become my habit to USE ECO-BAGS when buying groceries. For the wet products, we could bring our own containers that could be reused many times instead of using plastic bags. Also, if you are only buying a few items, you may also use your own bag.

                                           (My classmate putting our groceries inside her bag.)

I have learned to say NO to STRAWS and STYROFOAM as well. These are some types of waste that we better choose to avoid.

                   (Photo from: http://uncle-herbs.blogspot.com/2010/02/say-no-to-polystyrene.html)

If there is one trait that I would encourage others to develop, it would be to HATE PLASTICS.

                            (Photo from: http://bodyunburdened.com/break-up-with-plastic-day-3/)

We were able to attend a public hearing on the proposed ordinance regulating the use of plastic bags in San Fernando. This has already been implemented in other cities in the Philippines, however, it was my first time to attend a public hearing on this issue. Indeed, it is possible to reduce if not completely eliminate plastics. There are many alternative materials such as reusable bags and containers that are less harmful to the environment and should therefore be encouraged.

                                                            (Public hearing at Heroes Hall)

To understand Zero Waste, it is also essential to become aware of the classification of waste or learn PROPER WASTE SEGREGATION. This way, we will know how to reduce the different kinds of waste we produce, and learn how to properly dispose or possibly make use of other trash.

One of the new things I have learned is that residuals or wastes such as shampoo sachets or junk food wrappers can be mixed with cement for construction of roads or sidewalks. Some barangays in San Fernando have actually done this. It is one way of showing that zero waste is possible.

Through Mother Earth, I was not only able to change myself. I was also given the opportunity to INFLUENCE OTHERS.

For the past four weeks, we worked as Information and Education Officers and distributed fliers regarding proper waste segregation from house to house in the different barangays in San Fernando, Pampanga.

                                        (Information and Education Campaign in Brgy. Dolores)

We have also accompanied garbage collectors for a dry-run to see whether the households have followed. I personally inspected the garbage of each house to see if they already know how to properly segregate. It was such an incomparable experience to collect trash from house to house. It was something new and challenging for me especially under the summer heat. Nevertheless, I learned a lot and I feel fulfilled because I know I was able to help and contribute through my own little ways.


                                                       (Dry-run at Vista Rica Subdivision)

I observed how each house made an effort to participate and contribute to the success of this project.

                                                  (One of the households in Holy Angel I)

Of course, there were a number of hard-headed households but it just shows that achieving Zero Waste is up to us.

ALL our EFFORTS MATTER. Whether you live in a big house in a big village or in a tiny apartment in a barangay, each household's cooperation is important.

We must have THE WILL TO CHANGE our ways and do the right thing to reach the goal of zero waste.

In San Fernando, Zero Waste is almost a reality. I personally observed the progress of the project in the different parts of the city though the opportunity given to me by the Mother Earth Foundation. All that's needed is the full cooperation of all barangay's, subdivisions, schools, and other establishments regarding proper waste segregation and their own initiative to reduce their wastes. Also, the implementation of the ordinance for regulation of plastic bags is a big step towards reducing plastic wastes particularly.

I hope that the progress and near-success of the city of San Fernando on Zero Waste will inspire other places in the country to be more aware and active when it comes to caring for our environment. In the long run, we will realize that this for our own good and for the benefit of our future children as well.

Say YES TO ZERO WASTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment